The Dutch West India Company (Dutch: Westindische Compagnie or WIC) was a chartered company of Dutch merchants. On June 2, 1621, it was granted a charter for a trade monopoly in the West Indies (meaning the Caribbean) by the Republic of the Seven United Netherlands and given jurisdiction over the African slave trade, Brazil, the Caribbean, and North America. (wiki)
- Amsterdam Canal Ring West Indisch Huis on Herenmrkt was the HQ of the WIC from 1623-47
- Banc d'Arguin Arguin was conquered by the WIC in 1633, using it for the trade in natural gum
- Forts and Castles Gold Coast Fort Elmina was captured from the Portuguese by the GWIC in 1637. Apart from short periods it and other forts remained under GWIC control until its disestablishment in 1791
- Island of Gorée Conquered by the WIC (it was named by the after the Dutch island of Goeree)
- Paramaribo Owned by the WIC from 1682, and used for the trade in coffee, sugar and slaves
- Rapa Nui Discovered by Jacob Roggeveen whilst he was leading an expedition for the WIC to seek Terra Australis (1721-3)
- Willemstad Founded by the WIC
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to WIC
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source