WHS connected with Rivers having undergone major man-made changes to their original location.
- Guanajuato "Another distinct feature of Guanajuato is the network of underground caverns and built to divert the Guanajuato River underneath the city"
- Kremlin and Red Square the Western walls of the Kremlin were defined by the River Neglinnaya "The Kremlin was built on a hill west of the Neglinnaya, using the river as a moat" (Wiki) and "At one time the River Neglinnaya, a tributary of the Moskva, flowed along here protecting the Kremlin walls. There were two bridges over the Neglinnaya, a drawbridge by the Pine-Grove Tower and a stone arched bridge linking the Trinity and Kutafia towers".
- Paris, Banks of the Seine The original effluence of the River Bievre into the Seine was where the Rue de Bievre is situated today - situated on the south bank at the eastern end of Ile de la Cite. It has since been moved further east. See Link
- Vienna Danube regulation in the 19th Century
- Westminster Westminster Abbey: Originally built on Thorney Island (or the "Eyot of Thorns") created by 2 branches of the River Tyburn. The river has since been significantly re-routed Link
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Re-routed rivers
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source