Royal Hunting Grounds
A number of natural sites have only survived in a relatively unspoiled state because their use was once reserved to local Royalty for the purpose of hunting. WHS inscribed on Natural Criteria which were once "Royal Hunting Grounds".
- Belovezhskaya Pushcha / Bialowieza Forest ..King Sigismund also built a new wooden hunting manor in Bialowieza.... The forest was declared a hunting reserve in 1541 for the protection of wisent (European Bison).
- Chitwan National Park "The habitat had been well protected as a royal hunting reserve from 1846 to 1951 during the Rana regime" (AB)
- Donana National Park Coto Donana was once commissioned and preserved as a hunting park for over 500 years. ... It was the favorite hunting reserve of Alfonso X, Ferdinand II, Charles V, Phillips II and V and also Alfonso XIII
- Hill Forts of Rajasthan Ranthambore Fort - the Jaipur Rajput Maharaja's former hunting grounds (AB ev)
- Keoladeo National Park The park was a hunting ground for the Maharajas of Bharatpur, a tradition dating back to 1850, and duck shoots were organised yearly in honor of the British viceroys. In one shoot alone in 1938, over 4,273 birds ....were killed
- Manas Wildlife Sanctuary The area was initially the hunting grounds of the Maharaja of Cooch Behar and the Raja of Gauripur. It was declared a protected area - Manas Sanctuary, as early as 1928, but the hunting rights of the royal families were not revoked. The sanctuary finally turned fully protected when it became a Tiger Reserve in 1973, and a national park in 1990.
- Primeval Beech Forests "The grand dukes of Mecklenburg-Strelitz were passionate about hunting and for this reason the forests around Serrahn are virtually untouched. Forestry use played a minor role. From a modern point of view a valuable and unique natural area was able to be created. " (Muritz NP)
- Southern Öland royal hunting park until 1801 (nom file)
- Western Ghats Part of Western Ghat WHS is Periyar National Park which was a private game sanctuary by the maharaja of Travancore to stop the encroachment of tea plantations. Founded as Nellikkampatty Game Sanctuary in 1934, it was consolidated as a wildlife sanctuary in 1950 after the political integration of India, and designated as a national park in 1982.
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Royal Hunting Grounds
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source