East Sea / Sea of Japan
The Sea of Japan is a marginal sea of the western Pacific Ocean, between the Asian mainland, the Japanese archipelago and Sakhalin. A controversy exists about the sea name, with South Korea promoting the appellation East Sea. Each property is either located directly on or within sight of the coast.
- Central Sikhote-Alin "The site stretches from the peaks of Sikhote-Alin to the Sea of Japan" - AB Document
- Iwami Ginzan Silver Mine The site includes three ports: Tomogaura, Okidomari, and Yunotsu "To the south-west of Honshu Island, just inland from the Sea of Japan, is a cluster of silver-bearing mountains, rising to 600 metres and interspersed by deep river valleys." - AB Document
- Seokguram Grotto and Bulguksa Temple "Sokkuram Grotto is located on the south-eastern slope of Mount Toham, facing the East sea." - AB Document
- Shirakami-Sanchi "In the north of Honshu, on the border of Aomori and Akita Prefectures, 15km inland from the Sea of Japan." - AB Document
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to East Sea / Sea of Japan
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source