Tatars are a Turkic ethnic group numbering 6 to 7 million in the late 20th century. The majority live in Russia, while the original Tatars inhabited the north-eastern Gobi in the 5th century and, after subjugation in the 9th century by the Khitans, migrated southward. In the 13th century, they were subjugated by the Mongol Empire under Genghis Khan. Under the leadership of his grandson Batu Khan, they moved westwards, driving with them many of the Turkic peoples toward the plains of Russia.
- Cracow raided it in the 13th Century
- Kazan Kremlin Kazan Khanate
- L'viv invaded 1589
- Sighisoara "Following incursions by the Tatars in 1241, the fortified settlement on City Hill was reinforced with walls, guarded by towers" AB
- Spissky Hrad & Levoca raided at the beginning of the 13th Century
- Vilnius "The only surviving remains from the earliest period are therefore the walls, some sections of which survive beneath the defences built in 1503-22 against Tatar incursions" (AB)
- White Monuments of Vladimir and Suzdal invaded in the 13th Century
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Tatars
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source