Johann Ludwig Burckhardt
Sites connected with the Swiss-born traveller and Orientalist Johann Ludwig Burckhardt (aka Sheikh Ibrahim Ibn Abdallah). Web editions of his travel journals are available as follows :-
"Travels in Syria and the Holy land" http://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/b/burckhardt/john_lewis/syria/
"Travel in Nubia" http://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/b/burckhardt/john_lewis/nubia/
Dates of visits are from these journals together with links to the correct book/chapter. A shorter narration of his travels is in http://www.saudiaramcoworld.com/issue/196705/shaikh.burckhardt.explorer.htm
- Aleppo Burkhardt's base from 1809/12 after being accepted by the "Association for Promoting the Discovery of the Interior Parts of Africa" or "African Association" to penetrate the central and western Sudan. Perfected his Arabic there, adopted an Arabian persona and probably genuinely converted to Islam.
- Baalbek Sept 28th - Oct 1 1810 Link
- Meroe Burckhardt noticed the ruins of the town in 1814, but he underestimated their importance (nom file)
- Nubian Monuments "rediscovered" Abu Simbel on 22 March 1813 Link
- Palmyra (Tadmor) July 1810 Link
- Petra Rediscovered on Aug 22 1812. Burkhardt used a "trick" to gain entrance claiming that he had to sacrifice a goat in honour of Haroun (Aaron) Link
- Qadisha Valley Oct 2nd - 4th 1810 Link
- Saint Catherine Area May 18th -21st 1816 Link
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Johann Ludwig Burckhardt
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source