Built in the 5th century
- Baekje Historic Areas “The Baekje Historic Areas serial property comprises eight archaeological sites dating from 475-660 CE” - AB Evaluation
- Baptism Site "Bethany Beyond the Jordan" The main buildings on Elijah’s Hill date to the 5th and 6th century CE. (AB ev)
- Copan founded under K'inich Yax K'uk' Mo' (426-c. 437)
- Derbent "The site of the ancient city of Derbent has been crucial for the control of the north-south passage on the west side of the Caspian Sea since the 1st millennium BCE. The defence structures that were built by the Sasanians in the 5th century CE were in continuous use by the succeeding Persian, Arabic, Mongol, and Timurid governments for some 15 centuries." (AB - Crit iii)
- Echmiatsin and Zvartnots Echmiatsin originally built 301-3, in current form dates to 480
- Koguryo Tombs "The site includes 63 tombs from five areas in North Korea, believed to have been constructed between the 5th and 6th centuries." Nomination File
- Longmen Grottoes "Work began on the Longmen Grottoes in 493, when Emperor Xiaowen of the Northern Wei Dynasty moved his capital to Luoyang. Over the next four centuries this work continued; it can be divided into four distinct phases." - Nomination File
- Mahabodhi Temple Complex Criterion i: "The grand 50m high Mahabodhi Temple of the 5th-6th centuries "
- Ravenna Earliest monuments date from the 5th century, including the "Mausoleum of Galla Placidia, built in the second quarter of the 5th century"
- Sigiriya ruins of 5th century capital, fortress etc.
- Yungang Grottoes "They are an outstanding example of the Chinese stone carvings from the 5th and 6th centuries. All together the site is composed of 252 grottoes with more than 51,000 Buddha statues and statuettes." - wiki
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Built in the 5th century
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source