Built in the 1st century BC
WHS whose OUV derives entirely or significantly from 1st century BC constructions.
- Arles It has some impressive Roman monuments, of which the earliest - the arena, the Roman theatre and the cryptoporticus (subterranean galleries) - date back to the 1st century B.C. (AB)
- Dacian Fortresses built between the 1st centuries B.C. and A.D
- Hatra The present-day remains date back to between the 1st century BC and the 2nd century AD. (AB ev)
- Koguryo Kingdom "The Koguryo kingdom starts as a regional power in the year 37BC, when its first capital city, Wunu Mountain City was built. 30 years later the capital moved to Guonei city." - AB Evaluation
- Lyon As a "major Roman foundation" (43 BC)
- Masada built 37-34 BC
- Mérida Emerita was founded by Augustus in 25 BC, Guadiana bridge 25 BC, amphitheatre 8 BC
- Mount Wuyi "It (Mount Wuyi) contains a series of exceptional archaeological sites, including the Han City established in the 1st century BC and a number of temples and study centres associated with the birth of Neo-Confucianism in the 11th century AD. The archaeological site of the Han city of Chengcun was discovered in 1958, this is a walled city. The circuit of walls survives intact; the layout of the town is in accordance with the principle of urban design characteristic of southern China at this period." - Nomination File
- Nemrut Dag Nemrut Dag, where the most impressive of all the tomb sites is found, that of Antiochos I of Commagene (69-34 BC). (AB ev)
- Old City of Jerusalem the Temple Mount was built in its current structure by Herode in 19 BC
- Orange Theatre built in 35 BC.
- Petra Treasury dated to the 1st Century BC
- Rock Paintings of the Sierra de San Francisco
- Takht-i-Bahi founded in the early 1st Century BC
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Built in the 1st century BC
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source