Built in the 3rd century
WHS whose OUV derives entirely or significantly from 3rd century constructions.
- Amphitheater of El Jem built in 238
- Gamzigrad-Romuliana late 3rd century (AB ev)
- Leptis Magna Septimus Severus renewed the town after he became Roman emperor in 193; in 203 an arch was erected in his honour, and "At the end of his 203 visit Septimius Severus gave orders for a general upgrade to the facilities of Leptis and in particular for the construction of a series of public buildings"
- Necropolis of Bet She'arim Became a favourite burial place after Rabbi Judah died in about 220 CE and was buried here (AB ev)
- Oaxaca and Monte Alban The history of Monte Alban is described in 5 phases. Phase I : 500-200BC (It emerges as the "regional capital"). Phase II : 200BC -300AD (The "site begins to assume much of the appearance it presents today"). Phase III : 300AD -750 AD. (Becomes involved "in some way" with Teotihuacan "the last period of major construction at Monte Alban when most of the structures now visible were completed.") Phases IV + V : 750 -1520AD. (The public areas are abandoned but it possibly continues in use as a necropolis. ) See Link
- Roman Walls of Lugo between 263 and 276
- Saint-Emilion "With the prosperity of Burdigala (Bordeaux), Valerius Probus used his legions to fell the Cumbris forest in AD 275 BC (sic) and created the first vineyards by grafting new varieties of grape on the Vitis biturica that grew naturally in the region."
- Shushtar in its present form, it dates from the 3rd century CE (AB ev)
- Split Diocletian's Palace built 293-305
- Um er-Rasas Founded as a Roman camp (kastro). "It contains remains from the Roman, Byzantine and Early Muslim periods (end of 3rd to 9th centuries AD)" (AB ev)
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Built in the 3rd century
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source