Built in the 10th century
WHS whose OUV derives entirely or significantly from 10th century constructions. Where construction straddles the centuries the date of conception/commencement is used i.e which century does the site really "belong" to in spirit.
World Heritage Sites connected to Built in the 10th century
- Ani Between 961 and 1045, it was the capital of the Bagratid Armenian kingdom ... Ani expanded rapidly during the reign of King Smbat II (977–89). (wiki)
- Bolgar The historical and archaeological complex of Bolgar is a symbolic reminder of the acceptance of Islam by the Volga-Bolgars in 922 AD (Nom File).
- Chichen-Itza Gained importance under the Toltecs from late 10th century
- Haghpat and Sanahin Hagpat 966-991, some later extensions; Sanahin main church built 10th century
- Historic Cairo Al Azhar mosque and university built in 970-972
- Jelling illustrate the Christianization of the Danish people towards the middle of the 10th century.
- Kaesong ruling base of the Koryo dynasty (918-1392)
- Khajuraho Group of Monuments Chandella rulers, Apogee between 950 and 1050
- Medina of Tunis "Criterion (iii): As an important city and the capital of different dynasties (from the Banu Khurassan, to the Husseinits), the Medina of Tunis bears outstanding witness to the civilizations of Ifriqiya (essentially from the 10th century)." (OUV statement 2010)
- My Son In the later 10th century, most of the finest surviving architectural monuments were built there.
- Pannonhalma for "early date of its foundation": It was founded as the first Hungarian Benedictine monastery in 996 by Prince Géza (wiki)
- Prambanan Built during the first half of the 10th century (AB ev).
- Sceilg Mhichíl "It was dedicated to St Michael somewhere between 950 and 1050. lt was customary to build a new church to celebrate a dedication, and this date fits in weil with the architectural style of the oldest part of the existing church, known as St Michael's Church." (AB ev)
- Thingvellir Althing, an open-air assembly representing the whole of Iceland, was established here in 930
- Tiya earliest stelae date to the 10th Century
- Upper Middle Rhine Valley Some 40 hill top castles and fortresses erected over a period of around 1,000 years ... & Vines had been cultivated on the lower slopes since Roman times, and this expanded greatly from the 10th century onwards. (AB ev) Original Mouse Tower in Bingen dates from 968.
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Built in the 10th century
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- be explained, with reference to a source