A Geoglyph is a large scale image or design formed on the ground by the arrangement or movement/removal of stones, earth, structures, streets etc within a landscape. Includes Leucippotomy and Gigantonomy.
- Brasilia It is often stated that the outline plan for Brasilia was designed by Lucio Costa in the form of an airplane or even a dragonfly. This seems likely to have been a post hoc rationalisation (as in "Forming the cockpit of the Brasilia airplane plan is the Plaza of Three Powers"). Costa merely stated in his "Pilot Plan" of 1957 "Basically, it was born of the primary gesture of one who marks or takes possession of a place: two axes crossing at right-angles; the very sign of the Cross.It was then sought to adapt this sign to the local topography, the natural drainage of the area, to the best possible orientation; one of the axes was curved in order to make it fit into the equilateral triangle which limits the urbanized area
- Caral-Supe A geoglyph associated with the archaeological site of Chupacigarro is found in a small gully to the west, 1 km from the Sacred City of Caral. The geoglyph depicts a head drawn in profile. (nomination file)
- Fort Jesus The Fort was given a form that was roughly human ... the image of the martyred Christ has also been read in the plan of the fort (AB ev)
- Nasca Lines The lines include numerous designs and representations of animals etc
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Geoglyphs
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source