Inscribed in connection with an anniversary
WHS inscribed on, or in connection with, the celebration or recognition of a major "anniversary" of the site. Sometimes the process takes place slightly out of sync with the actual anniversary because of the uncertainty of the timescale to gain inscription. Not all are successful. - UK had hoped to gain inscription of "Darwin at Down" to celebrate the 200th anniversary of Darwin's birth. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/culturenews/4392682/Charles-Darwins-home-nominated-as-World-Heritage-Site.html
World Heritage Sites connected to Inscribed in connection with an anniversary
- Fagus Factory 100 year anniversary of construction
- Liverpool Inscribed 2007. The 800 year anniversary of founding of the city by the granting of a charter in 1207 by King John fell in 2007.
- Pannonhalma 996 / 1996
- Singapore Botanic Gardens Singapore 50th year of Republic
- Strasbourg To coincide with the "Bimillenaire" of the foundation of Argentoratum centred on the Grande Ile. Pope Paul visited the city that year. "C'est en décembre 1988, année du bimillenaire, que le vieux Strasbourg est inscrit sur la liste du patrimoine mondial de l'UNESCO sous le nom 'Strasbourg - Grande Ile '"
- Thang Long Inscribed 2010. The 1000 year anniversary of Hanoi's foundation fell in 2010. Link
- Yaroslavl Inscribed 2005. In preparation for the 1000 year anniversary of Yaroslavl's foundation in 2010 Link
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Inscribed in connection with an anniversary
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- be explained, with reference to a source