Offshore of a major city
WHS which are situated on an island situated offshore from a major city. Must be possible to reach by ferry from the major city.
- Australian Convict Sites Cockatoo Island, Sydney Link
- Defence Line of Amsterdam The fortified island of Pampus stands in the IJMeer 12 kms offshore of Amsterdam (although this "sea" is now cut off from open waters by the Houtribdijk and Afsluitdijk). It is reached by ferry from Muiden
- Elephanta Caves Situated in Mumbai Harbour 10 Kms from Mumbai. Ferry from Gate of India
- Fortress of Suomenlinna Situated in the Gulf of Finland/Baltic Sea 2 kms from downtown Helsinki by ferry from Kauppatori opposite the President's Castle.
- Island of Gorée Situated in the Atlantic Ocean around 3 kms From Dakar. Ferry journey from main port - near Railway Station.
- Itsukushima Shrine located on Miyajima Island 20 Kms from downtown Hiroshima
- Robben Island Situated in Table Bay/Atlantic Ocean 12 kms off Capetown. Ferry from Nelson Mandela Gateway at the V&A Waterfront.
- Statue of Liberty situated in New York Harbour, 2.6 kms SW of Battery Park in Lower Manhatten from where ferries leave.
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Offshore of a major city
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source