WHS related to or named after Dragons.
World Heritage Sites connected to Dragon
- Ancient Kyoto Ry?an-ji, The Temple of the Peaceful Dragon
- Baekje Historic Areas “The mural depicting the Four Deities (supernatural creatures representing the four directions, namely, the Blue Dragon, White Tiger, Red Phoenix, and Black Tortoise) discovered at Tomb No. 1 is widely recognized as one of the most representative tomb murals of the Baekje.” - Nomination File
- Changdeokgung Palace Complex "If you delve further into the palace grounds, you'll come upon the royal residence buildings. You can distinguish the king's bedchamber from the queen's by the former's roof ridgeline that's called yongmaru, or the dragon's spine. The dragon was the symbol of the king." - discoveringkorea.com
- Cracow dragon guarding Wawel Hill, slayed by Prince Crac
- Gyeongju Hwangnyongsa Temple (Temple of Imperial Dragon)
- Ha Long Bay Bay of the Descending Dragon
- Huanglong "the travertine ... is thought to look like a huge golden dragon wheeling through the snow-capped mountains of the valley." (wiki)
- Imperial Palace Nine Dragons Screen
- Iwami Ginzan Silver Mine Ryugenji Mabu Mine Shaft (Ryugenji = The Dragon Source Temple)
- Kaesong Phyochung Monuments - "The monuments comprise large turtle-shaped granite plinths weighing over ten tons, supporting black marble stelae inscribed with poems commemorating Jong Mong Ju, and topped by pavilion-style hipped-gable caps carved from granite with dragon reliefs." - nomination file
- Koguryo Tombs The blue dragon appears on the ceiling and walls of numerous royal tombs. "In the upper part (which is a symbolic of heaven) are painted genres and the pictures of the four holy animals. The tortoise-and-snake (or black warrior), the northern dipper constellation are depicted on the northern wall. The blue dragon and the sun are on the east, the white tiger and the moon are on the west, and the red bird is on the south with stars in the margin." - nomination file (abridged)
- Koguryo Tombs The mythical blue dragon is often depicted on tomb murals.
- Komodo National Park Komodo dragon
- Longmen Grottoes Gate of the Dragon
- Maloti Drakensberg
- Mount Sanqingshan Three Dragons Rising from the Sea Link
- Museumsinsel (Museum Island) Ishtar Gate (dragons depicted on the gate)
- Namhansanseong Yeonmugwan (Hall of Practicing Martial Arts) is massive, with a floor space of some 330 square meters, and is placed on a high foundation, making it visible from a distance. Crossbeams inside the hall have dragon images painted on both sides, while phoenixes are painted on the side beams. - official website
- Peking Man Site Zhoukoudian Site is located at Dragon Bone Hill
- Tajik National Park Les bouddhistes chinois imaginent que l'un des lacs du Pamir est habité par un grand dragon venimeux (wiki)
- Thang Long Thang Long = Ascending dragon
- Trang An There are also imperial dragon stone beds (AB ev)
- Villa d'Este Fountain of Dragons Link
- Wulingyuan Yellow Dragon Cave
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Dragon
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- be explained, with reference to a source