Sites significantly damaged by an explosion. Excluding those damaged during WWI or WWII, as they have their own separate connections.
- Acropolis Parthenon, 1687.
- Bamiyan Valley Bamiyan buddhas, 2001
- Longmen Grottoes Most of the statues' heads have been destroyed during the Cultural revolution.
- Meroe In 1834 Giuseppe Ferlini blew the tops of many pyramids whilst searching for treasure
- Rapa Nui Ahu Vinapu was blown up with gunpowder in 1886 by a William J Thomson, purser on board the USS "Mohican". He had hoped to find a grave with valuable artifacts. In fact he only discovered stone "backfill". The highly accurately fitted stonework of Ahu Vinapu has been used as evidence of Inca influence on Rapa Nui but, as Thompson demonstrated, the stonework was only a "facing" and doesn't demonstrate any S american "connection". See Link
- Rhodes April 3, 1856: Palace of the Grand Masters: a lightning strike set off explosions of the stored ammunition, killing 4000 people Link
- Seokguram Grotto and Bulguksa Temple Criminals used dynamite on Dabotap Pagoda within Bulguksa Temple in attempt to steal ancient artifacts. "In 1966, the monks of the temple were awakened by sounds of exploding dynamite. They discovered that thieves had attempted to blast the pagoda and steal what was hidden inside. The thieves ran away before they could steal any of the treasures but the Buddhist monks discovered precious reliquaries, sariras, and the oldest extant example of printed material from a wood block in the world." -wiki
- Tokaji Wine Region Tokaj Castle demolished by the Austrians in 1705
- Venice and its Lagoon St Mark's Campanile (not an explosion, but a destroying implosion)
- Vizcaya Bridge "On 16 June 1937, the bracing cables on the Getxo side were deliberately blown up in a controlled explosion,hence causing the deck to fall into the estuary and interrupting both the transporter service and maritime traffic." (Nom File) It took 4 years to bring it back into service
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Blown up
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source