WHS which include lagoons.
- Ahwar of Southern Iraq Eridu was originally located in a lagoon
- Aldabra Atoll
- Atlantic Forest South-East
- Belize Barrier Reef
- Brazilian Atlantic Islands Atol das Rocas "Isolated and pristine atoll with large lagoon".
- Butrint Lake Butrint is a saltwater lagoon
- Curonian Spit The Curonian Spit divides the Curonian Lagoon from the sea. Parts of the lagoon are within the inscribed area. Link
- Danube Delta Includes, inter alia, the Razelm-Sinoie lagoon Complex which "comprises several large backinsh lagoons separated from the sea by a sandbar" (AB eval)
- Dorset and East Devon Coast The body of water behind Chesil Beach is called "The Fleet Lagoon" Link
- East Rennell
- Galapagos Islands
- Great Barrier Reef
- Henderson Island
- Ibiza On Espalmador, the largest islet, there is an enclosed inland lagoon. These lagoons have long been used commercially as salt pans. (UNEP-WCMC)
- Ichkeul National Park Link
- Island of Saint-Louis The entire settlement is situated in a magnificent lagoon formed by the two arms of the Senegal River (AB ev)
- Lagoons of New Caledonia
- Namib Sand Sea Sandwich Harbour
- Okavango Delta
- Peninsula Valdes
- Phoenix Islands There are three atoll islands with associated lagoons (AB ev)
- Rock Islands surrounded by a lagoon (AB ev)
- Shark Bay Shark Bay's "attractions are also supplemented by secondary features such as Shell Beach, Big Lagoon and the Zuytdorp Cliffs which combine to add even further interest to the area"
- Sian Ka'an Many coastal lagoons e.g search for lagoon in this UN document Link
- Socotra Archipelago Several - Nom file mentions inter alia Qalansiya, Suq and Diduah Lagoons and the former is an important bird watching location Link
- Tubbataha Reefs "Classic atoll reef with an altitude of 2m to 100m deep with associated lagoon of 24m deep."
- Venice and its Lagoon
- Whale Sanctuary of El Vizcaino two lagoons - Ojo de Liebre and San Ignacio
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Lagoons
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source