Built elsewhere as a full size replica
World Heritage Sites (or significant elements thereof) of which full size modern replicas have been constructed. Excluding significantly inaccurate attempts (e.g Taj Mahal at Sonargaon in Bangladesh) or scaled down versions in theme parks etc.
- Acropolis The Parthenon. Built in Nashville TN USA. Originally constructed in plaster, wood and brick in 1897 as part of the Centnennial Tennessee Exposition. It was rebuilt 1902-31 in concrete and a full size replica of the statue of Athena Parthenos was added in 1990. The building is used as an art museum. Link
- Ancient Kyoto Byodo-in Temple. Built in 1968 in the Valley of the Temples Memorial Park on O'ahu Hawaii. It operates as a non-denominational temple within the park for worship, weddings etc. Link
- Fort and Shalamar Gardens Pakistan Pavilion - Expo 2010 Link
- Hallstatt-Dachstein a Chinese firm has started to rebuild much of Hallstatt in faraway Guandong province Link
- Imperial Palace Hengdian World Studios Link
- Istanbul There?s a full size copy of the Blue Mosque in Ashgabat, the capital of Turkmenistan
- Kinderdijk Replica of three windmills at Kinderdijk at Huis Ten Bosch, Japan
- Medieval Monuments in Kosovo New Gračanica Monastery in Third Lake, Illinois, USA (an architectural replica of the original Gračanica in Kosovo ... but built in a scale eighteen percent larger than the Original) Link
- Rapa Nui Replica of Rapanui's Moai row at Ahu Akivi is located Nichinan Coast, Miyazaki, Japan
- Seokguram Grotto and Bulguksa Temple Dabotap and Seokgatop in Gyeongju's Bulguksa Temple have been constructed as full-size replicas in North Korea to be visited in a Heritage Park. Link
- Stonehenge Maryhill Washington USA - Full size and to the (assumed) complete design as it would originally have been built. Erected 1918-29 by a local Quaker pacifist businessman as a memorial to local solidiers killed in WWI (which was still in progress when the project commenced). Link
- Venice and its Lagoon Chinese start building a replica of Venice near Tianjin Link
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Built elsewhere as a full size replica
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source