WHS which have been locations for "historically significant" strikes.
- Ancient Thebes Around 1152BC the workers at Deir el Medina went on strike: the first documented strike in history! Link
- Liverpool 1911 (Jun- Aug) General Transport Strike. St Georges Hall was a major location for meetings and a riot known as "Bloody Sunday". Events can be followed and related to actual locations in this link Link
- Oaxaca and Monte Alban 2006 Teachers Strike. Commenced in May 2006 with an occupation of the Zocalo. Attempts to break up the protest led to escalation in June with the creation of APPO (Asamblea Popular de los Pueblos de Oaxaca) made up of representatives of Oaxaca?s state regions and municipalities, unions, non-governmental organizations, social organizations, and cooperatives, the largest group being Section 22, the Oaxacan teachers' union. It encouraged all Oaxacans to organize popular assemblies at every level, declared itself the de facto governing authority of Oaxaca, took over TV/Radio and begun implementing its own laws. The Movement contained significant indigenous aspects including the implementation of 'usos y costumbres' (traditional usages and customs). The action continued throughout 2006 with at least 17 deaths. Link
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Strikes
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source