Sébastien Le Prestre, Seigneur de Vauban and later Marquis de Vauban (15 May 1633 - 30 March 1707), commonly referred to as Vauban, was a Marshal of France and the foremost military engineer of his age, famed for his skill in both designing fortifications and in breaking through them. He also advised Louis XIV on how to consolidate France's borders, to make them more defensible.
- Canal du Midi Following persistent complaints about the flooding of neighbouring agricultural land, the great military architect Vauban was sent to the canal; as a result of his report a number of aqueducts were built and the Saint-Ferréol dam was raised in height. (AB ev)
- City of Luxembourg Responsible for the enlargement of its fortifications
- Fortifications of Vauban
- Mont-Saint-Michel Cabane Vauban Link
- Routes of Santiago de Compostela in France Porte St Jacques in Saint Jean Pied de Port is directly connected to the Vauban Citadel
- Strasbourg Barrage Vauban "It was constructed from 1686 to 1700 by the French Engineer Jacques Tarade according to plans by Vauban." (Wiki)
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Vauban
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source