World Heritage Sites connected to Viking settlements
- Birka and Hovgarden
- Gros Morne National Park Vikings may have temporarily resided in St Paul's Inlet in the north around 1,000 years ago (AB ev)
- Ilulissat Icefjord Semermuit and Qajaa, both Viking archaeological sites, are within the WHS
- L'Anse aux Meadows
- Novgorod It was founded by the Varangian dynasty Link
- Southern Öland
- St. Kilda "It is certain that the Vikings visited and may have settled the islands." (AB ev)
- Visby "Excavations have indicated that there was a trading settlement in the early Viking Age on the site of Visby"
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Viking settlements
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- be explained, with reference to a source