WHS inscribed on natural criteria where local inhabitants are allowed to hunt and kill significant protected species as part of their "way of life"
World Heritage Sites connected to Traditional Hunting
- Banc d'Arguin fishing techniques involving collaboration with wild dolphines practiced by the Amrig
- Dja Faunal Reserve "A population of pygmies live within the reserve in small sporadic encampments, and are free to hunt within the reserve using traditional methods." (AB)
- Ilulissat Icefjord Narwal, Musk Ox, Seals, birds etc. (No motorised support allowed)
- Lena Pillars Sable hunting "Members of ancestral farms annually bag 600-800 sable skins". (nom file) Link
- Ngorongoro Ritual lion hunting (Ala-mayo) was banned in the 1970s but Masai are allowed to kill lions in retaliation against wildlife attacks Link
- Olympic National Park Whaling Link
- Shirakami-Sanchi Bear Hunting by "Matagi" Link
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Traditional Hunting
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- be explained, with reference to a source