Part of Cultural nomination rejected
Cultural WHS whose original nominations included a separate site which was rejected during the evaluation process.
- Fortifications of Vauban Two sites initially nominated by France were removed from the final list: - Bazoches, Nièvre: chateau - Belle-Ile-en-Mer, Morbihan: citadel and walls surrounding Le Palais
- Oaxaca and Monte Alban Was originally nominated to include a 3rd element - the (unfinished) Convent of Cuilapan 10 kms south of Oaxaca. In its evaluation ICOMOS stated "(Oaxaca/Monte Ablan), situated within close proximity of one to the other, are historically complementary. On the other hand, it would appear unnecessarily redundant to include Cuilapan, which is located at some distance from the others, in a nomination to the World Heritage List.".
- Prehistoric Pile Dwellings The Nomination File shows that 156 sites were nominated but ICOMOS got this reduced to 111 by the nominating countries during the evaluation process and all of these were inscribed
- Puebla Was originally nominated to include the pre-Columbian site (Teotihuacan/Olmec/Aztec) of Cholula (around 10kms away). Cholula contains the remains of a pyramid often described as the "largest man made monument by volume in the World" (Wiki). ICOMOS/UNESCO didn't consider that it "paired" well with Puebla. As of 2009 the site is not on Mexico's T List.
- Santo Domingo Was originally nominated to include the archaeological sites of La Isabela and Concepcion de la Vega. La Isabela is around 200kms from Sto Domingo and is regarded as the first formal European settlement in the new world (1493 by Columbus). La Vega is around 125kms from Sto Domingo and grew from a fort built by Columbus in 1494. Whilst recognising the "evident symbolic value" of properties "so closely linked to 3 significant moments in the history of Hispaniola in the period following the discovery of the island by Christopher Columbus" ICOMOS/UNESCO was (back in 1989) "disconcerted" to "find a single proposal for 3 properties so distant from one another"! As of 2009 both rejected properties are individually listed on Dominican Republic's T List.
- Tauric Chersonese inscribed "with the exception of serial component no. 7 Cape Vinogradny"
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Part of Cultural nomination rejected
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source