WHS-cities that have been closed to outsiders / visitors for a certain period in history.
- Ambohimanga Ambohimanga was henceforth considered one of the sacred royal hills of Imerina (the Merina kingdom) and was known as a "forbidden city" until 1897.
- Harar "Harar was a fiercely religious city and was a forbidden city (closed to visitors), until 1887"
- Hué "Inside the citadel was a forbidden city where only the concubines, emperors, and those close enough to them were granted access, the punishment for trespassing being death." (wiki)
- Imperial Palace "Forbidden" (in Beijing's Forbidden City or Imperial Palace), referred to the fact that no-one could enter or leave the palace without the emperor's permission.
- Potala Palace Lhasa is known as the Forbidden City for its former inaccessibility and hostility to strangers
- Thang Long It included a Forbidden City, where the king and his royal family lived
- Timbuktu Closed to non-islamic visitors for centuries
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Forbidden City
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source