Roman mythological figure (Greek origin).
- Archaeological Site of Delphi The Oracle directed Hercules to serve King Eurystheus for ten years and perform any task which he required
- Bergpark Wilhelmshöhe Hercules monument
- Bisotun "Of the post-Achaemenid remains, the Seleucid figure of a resting Heracles dates from 148 B.C. Though not of high standard technically, it is important because of its datable Greek inscription....The head of the Heracles statue was stolen in 1993, but was later recovered and restored. It is now in museum, while a replica has been placed in situ." (AB).
- Mycenae and Tiryns Tiryns: Linked to several Herculean myths
- Pompei Herculaneum was named after Hercules
- Rome Defeated the monster Cacus. He then (Wiki)"founded an altar, the Ara Maxima, where later the Forum Boarium, the cattle market of Rome, was held. Rome erected temples to Hercules in the area, including the still extant Temple of Hercules Victor. It is believed that a large stone in the nearby church of Santa Maria in Cosmedin is what is left of the Ara Maxima."
- Tower of Hercules Wiki: "According to a myth that blends Celtic and Greco-Roman elements, the hero Hercules slew the giant tyrant Geryon after three days and three nights of continuous battle. Hercules then - in a Celtic gesture - buried the head of Geryon with his weapons and ordered that a city be built on the site. The lighthouse atop a skull and crossbones representing the buried head of Hercules' slain enemy appears in the coat-of-arms of the city of Corunna."
- Troy Hercules and his followers attacked Troy and sacked it
- Vienna his labours are depicted at the Hofburg
- Villa d'Este Hercules was the legendary ancestor of the Este family - statue of Hercules stands in the garden (AB ev)
- Volubilis There's a mosaic displaying the Labours of Hercules, some of which reputedly have taken place in Morocco
- Wachau Cultural Landscape Herkules Brunnen in Krems (Der Brunnen am hohen Markt hat ein gebauchtes, quadratisches Becken mit Eckpostamenten, eine steinerne Brunnensäule mit reliefierten Delphinen und eine Herkulesstatue mit Doppeladlerwappen.) wiki
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Hercules
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source