World Heritage Sites connected to Cave dwellings
- Bamiyan Valley "The valley was abandoned for a long period, but at the end of the 19th century, the caves were inhabited and used as shelters for domestic animals." (AB evaluation)
- Chief Roi Mata's Domain Lelepa Cave was the residence of the chiefs according to local tradition.
- Cilento and Vallo di Diano Castelcivita Caves were probably used as a hiding place for Spartacus' rebels army
- Cliff of Bandiagara Inhabited by the Tellem and the Dogon, until now
- Gobustan Rock Art The site also features the remains of inhabited caves, settlements and burials, all reflecting an intensive human use (AB ev)
- Göreme NP
- Grand Canyon Hopi dwellings
- Incense Route of the Negev Avdat
- Le Morne
- Masada The Hermit Cave, used by Byzantine monks
- Mesa Verde
- Qadisha Valley
- Rapa Nui
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Cave dwellings
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- be explained, with reference to a source