Named after a local Christian saint
WHS named after a Christian saint, only have saints directly connected IN PERSON with the site.
- Abu Mena After Saint Menas, whose body is said to have been buried at this spot Link
- Assisi Saint Francis
- Ferapontov Monastery Therapont (Ferapont) of White Lake Link
- Saint Catherine Area After St. Catherine of Alexandria (whose relics were purported to have been miraculously transported here by angels)
- Saint-Emilion Wiki: "The town was named after the monk ?milion, a travelling confessor, who settled in a hermitage carved into the rock there in the 8th century. It was the monks who followed him that started up the commercial wine production in the area."
- Saint-Savin sur Gartempe Saint Savin was a hermit and "one of the first Christians to have evangelized the Lavedan valley" Link
- Skocjan Caves Skocjan is the name for St. Cantianus, a local patron saint
- Trinity Sergius Lavra The Trinity-Sergius Monastery was founded in the 1330s in the forest to the north of Moscow by the monk Sergius. Sergius was canonized in 1422 and declared the patron saint of the country.
- Yuso and Suso Monasteries San Millan: named after Mill?n, who settled here in the 6th century and founded the first 'monastery' at this spot
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Named after a local Christian saint
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source