A system of fractures that splits a rock body into long prisms, or columns. It is characteristic of lava flows and shallow intrusive igneous flows.
- Giant's Causeway
- Gulf of Porto Scandola Nature Reserve Link
- Jeju Examples in the Hallasan Natural Reserve (AB review - " The diverse volcanic landscape includes a 1.6 ha lake-filled crater, 550 m in diameter and 108 m deep, a younger (circa 25,000 years in age) intruded trachyte dome, and a series of columnar jointed basalts forming prominent cliffs" (the Best examples on the island are at Jistagae Rock but this is not within the inscribed area)
- Nan Madol Nan Madol was built using columnar basalt quarried from various locations on the island of Pohnpei (wiki)
- Yellowstone Sheepeater cliff (and others) Link
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Columnar Jointing
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source