- Aquileia AB review - "It was also the southern terminus of the amber route, dating from prehistory, and this prized product from the Baltic was worked by Aquileian craftsmen for sale throughout the Empire"
- Curonian Spit The village of Juodkrante (within the inscribed area) was a major source of amber on an industrial scale. Wiki : - "In 1860 Stantien & Becker company was founded to dig amber just north of the village. During 30 years of operations, it dug out about 2,250,000 kg of amber. During its peak the company employed about 1,000 workers." A significant collection of Amber items from the Neolithic and Bronze ages was put together by a R klebs but in the WWII period much got lost and dispersed. There is an Amber museum at Nida (marked on nomination file map) which contains copies of many of the itmes from the collection.
- Fertö/Neusiedlersee The Romans describe it as a part of the Amber Route
- St. Petersburg The "Amber room" at Tsarskoye Selo. A replica since the original disappeared during WWII after being looted by the Nazis
- Wadden Sea The Island of Neuwerk has an amber museum and a visitors' activity is searching for Amber torn up from the sea bed by storm surges.
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Amber
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source