WHS that consist of two separate towns, whose history is linked (sometimes leading to strong rivalry).
- Bauhaus Sites Weimar & Dessau
- Budapest Buda and Pest, separate cities until 1873
- Caves of Maresha and Bet Guvrin "the ancient twin towns of Maresha and Bet Guvrin" (AB ev)
- Cesky Krumlov Krumlov and Latran - where the castle is located- used to constitute two distinct towns separated by the river.
- Dubrovnik Dubrovnik and Ragusa were separate entities until the 12th Century.
- La Chaux-de-Fonds / Le Locle La Chaux-de-Fonds & Le Locle
- Lednice-Valtice Cultural Landscape Lednice & Valtice
- Mantua and Sabbioneta Mantua & Sabbioneta
- Melaka and George Town Melaka and George Town rivalled over trade hegemony in the 18th / 19th century
- Nan Madol Nan Madol and Lelu (The similarity between the two sites is stressed in the Nom file as well as the future intention to extend the nomination to include Lelu.)
- Qhapaq Ñan Santa Ana and Vale Colorado - Almost an entire page is dedicated to the description of their shared culture in the nomination file
- Quebrada de Humahuaca Tilcara and Maimara are in such strong rivalry that it sometimes comes to physical violence between their inhabitants Link
- Regensburg Regensburg and Stadtamhof: the latter was a rival neighbouring city until its incorporation in the 20th century.
- Royal Saltworks of Arc-et-Senans Arc-et-Senans & Salins-les-Bains
- Stralsund and Wismar
- Úbeda and Baeza Ubeda & Baeza
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Twin Towns
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source