Not open to tourists
WHS that are COMPLETELY closed to the general public, and where there are no replicas available. Sites with only parts closed off are not admittable.
- Decorated cave of Pont d'Arc Closed. A replica cave has opened.
- Gough and Inaccessible Islands Visitors are not allowed to land on Gough island. Tourists are limited to Zodiac cruises which must not approach the shore and even crew members from passing yachts may not go ashore except in the case of an "extreme emergency". (Landing is allowed on Inaccessible if authorised by the Tristan Da Cunha government and accompanied by local guides who have to travel with the ship from the main island of Tristan)
- Mount Hamiguitan Closed in 2010, may open again in 2015
- Mount Nimba It is a "strict" reserve, forbidding tourism. (wiki)
- Papahanaumokuakea Only open for specific purposes Link
- Rio Abiseo National Park "Since 1986, the park has not been open to tourism due to the fragile nature of both the natural and archaeological environment." (wiki)
- Stoclet House Privately owned, and only very few people have seen its interior.
- Sundarbans National Park Core zone is not open to tourists
- Surtsey Only open to scientists.
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Not open to tourists
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source