Thirty Years' War
The Thirty Years' War (1618-1648) was one of the most destructive conflicts in European history. The war was fought primarily (though not exclusively) in Germany and at various points involved most of the countries of Europe.
- Abbey and Altenmünster of Lorsch Was largely destroyed as result of this war in 1621
- Benedictine Convent of St. John Im Dreißigjährigen Krieg wiederholen sich schicksalhaft Besetzung und Plünderungen. Die Klosterbücher verzeichnen den herben Verlust von vier Zentnern Zinn, Silber, elf Zentnern Schmalz, 33 Stück Großvieh. (Schätze der Welt)
- Churches of Peace "The Churches of Peace are outstanding testimony to an exceptional act of tolerance on the part of the Catholic Habsburg Emperor towards Protestant communities in Silesia in the period following the Thirty Years? War in Europe."
- Corvey .. during the Thirty Years' War it [the Abbey] was devastated, large parts of the library being lost as well as St. Vitus's shrine (AB ev)
- Prague Hradčany castle, Second Defenestration of Prague
- Regensburg "During the Thirty Year War, Regensburg was made into a garrison city. There was a bitter conflict between Regensburg and Bavaria, and the city suffered of plundering. In 1633, it was under the siege by the Swedes, but was saved from the worst." (source: ICOMOS)
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Thirty Years' War
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source