Invention of sweets
- Avila Yema de Santa Teresa
- Belem The famous portuguese pastel de nata is believed to be created before the 18th century by Catholic Monks at the Jerónimos Monastery
- Bordeaux Canelé Link
- City of Luxembourg Luxemburgerli invented by Camille Studer in 1957
- Costiera Amalfitana Sfogliatelle invented in conservatorio di Santa Rosa da Lima in the 17th Century
- Florence The invention of ?Gelato?, the confection based on ice, cream and egg yolk as a development of the older water-based sherbet/sorbetto has been linked to Florence during the rule of Catherine de Medici. One version is that the architect and all-round Renaissance man Bernado Buontalenti was charged by Catherine with preparing 'events' for diplomatic guests including banquets and entertainments. In 1565 one of these served a frozen dessert with a recipe approximating to modern 'Gelato'. Buontalenti Gelato is still available!
- Lübeck Marzipan was invented by Johann Niederegger in 1806 (same time as in Tallinn)
- Nancy rum baba or baba au rhum: the original baba was introduced into France in the 18th century via Alsace and Lorraine. This is attributed to Stanisław Leszczyński, the exiled king of Poland (wiki)
- Salzburg Mozartkugel
- Tallinn Marzipan was invented by Lorenz Cawietzel in 1806 (same time as in Luebeck)
- Vienna Croissant was invented in 1683 to celebrate the defeat of the Turks
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Invention of sweets
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source