Sites where some evidence of possible human sacrifce has been found (as opposed to mere rumour, conjecture, myth).
- Caral-Supe The body of a ca. 23 year old male was found under the ceremonial room, possibly a case of human sacrifice
- Chan Chan ... She was most likely sacrificed, was hung and thrown over one of the citadel's high walls and then buried alive.... Link
- Chichen-Itza There are several locations which appear to be related to Human sacrifice - In particular the "Cenote Sagrado" - from which numerous skeltons have been retrieved. Link
- Chief Roi Mata's Domain "The mass sacrificial burial on Artok Island, in which Roi Mata was accompanied in death by more that 50 voluntarily sacrificed individuals" (Nomination Dossier)
- Gyeongju The Great Tomb of Hwangnam, "Excavations have found that a man was interred in the northern mound and a woman in the southern mound. The man's burial chamber contained remains of a yound woman believed to have been buried for her master. Hence the tomb is assumed to have been made before King Jijeong (reign 500-515) banned sacrificial burials." Unesco World Heritage of South Korea (2011, pg 88)
- Mexico City and Xochimilco Templo Mayor: Ten Spanish captives were sacrificed at the Temple and their severed heads were thrown back to the Spaniards. (Wiki) Objects associated with human sacrifice are the ?face blades? or knives decorated with eyes and teeth, as well as skull masks.
- Papahanaumokuakea Oral histories suggest that ceremonies involving human sacrifice had been conducted at the heiau, although there is no concrete archaeological evidence for this (Nom file))
- Qhapaq Ñan Children of Llullaillaco Link
- Royal Palaces of Abomey Described in 1864 first-hand by Richard Burton in "A mission to Gelele King of Dahome with notices of the so called "Amazons", the grand customs, the yearly customs, the human sacrifices, the present state of the slave trade and the negro's place in nature. Link
- Site of Carthage The "Tophet" Cemetery - The remains of many children have been found which might indicate (as the Romans claimed) evidence of the Phoenician practice of child sacrifice or, alternatively, just a child cemetery. Link
- Teotihuacan Bodies of what appear to be sacrificial victims have been found within the Temple of the Moon. Link
- Yin Xu "Five of the pits contained the remains of a human sacrifice (four adult males and one child)." Link
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Human Sacrifice
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source