WHS which are linked to noteworthy female achievements in the realm of Exploration.
- Huascaran National Park The lower N summit was first climbed in 1908 by Annie Smith Peck (Possibly the only mountain worldwide to have first been climbed by a woman?). Link
- Nanda Devi and Valley of Flowers Joan Margaret Legge(1885-1939) was a botanist from England, who lost her life on 4 July, 1939 while collecting samples at Valley of flowers, India. (wiki) - she was there on behalf of Kew Gardens
- Palmyra Reached by Lady Hester Stanhope in 1812. She later claimed to have been crowned "Queen of Palmyra" under the Triumphal Arch! Link
- Potala Palace Reached by Alexandra David-Néel in 1924 when it was still "forbidden" -"The First western woman to enter Tibet". Spent 2 months there and "visited the monasteries" Link
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Women Explorers
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source