Mithraism was a mystery religion which became popular among the military in the Roman Empire, from the 1st to 4th centuries AD. It is best attested in the cities of Rome and Ostia and in the Roman provinces of Mauretania, Britain, and in the provinces along the Rhine and Danube frontier.
- Fertö/Neusiedlersee Fertorakos Mithraeum
- Frontiers of the Roman Empire Rudchester Mithraeum at Hadrian's Wall
- Nisa Nisa Was called "Mithradatkert". Among its kings were Mithradates I and II (= "Given by Mithra"). Mithraic mausoleums and shrines have been uncovered
- Rome Under Santo Stefano Rotondo and Basilica di San Clemente
- Sulaiman-Too "There is material to suggest that the earliest cult of Sulaiman-Too could be Mithraism. Mithra, one of the most ancient Indo-Arian gods, was later included in the Zoroastrian pantheon." (AB evaluation)
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Mithraism
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source