The Pope is the leader of the Roman Catholic Church. So far there have been 265 of them (since the first century AD).
P.S.: we're not going to include all sites ever visited by a pope - just those that are strongly linked to one or all of them
- Avignon From 1309 to 1377, the pope resided not in Rome but in Avignon (Palais des Papes)
- Pienza Was named after and redesigned by Pope Pius II (Pope between 19 August 1458 - 15 August 1464)
- Rome Rome with Holy See's exterritorial rights
- Vatican City The Holy See has been the residence of popes since early Christian times
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Popes
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source