Cycoliths (Stone circles)
Multiple stones (ie not "monoliths") erected in an approximate circle and never covered by earth (ie not "dolmens")
- Brú na Bóinne A circle of standing stones also surrounds Newgrange. .. excavation have shown that one of the stones of the circle lies directly on top of the Early Bronze Age Pit Circle. (see link) Link
- Frontiers of the Roman Empire Hadrians Wall, Location 430ter-182 "Stone circle, defended settlement, Romano-British farmstead & field system, Roman camp & group of shielings immediately south of Greenlee Lough" (UNESCO)
- Neolithic Orkney Ring of Brodgar
- Pyrénées - Mont Perdu Gavarnie
- Solovetsky Islands stone alignments and circles
- Stone Circles of Senegambia
- Wadi Rum Several stone circles with a larger stone standing in the centre, located in the foothills of Jebel Umm Ishrin and Jebel Rum, have been identified as pre-Islamic shrines (AB ev)
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Cycoliths (Stone circles)
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source