WHS where prophecies were either made, or fulfilled.
World Heritage Sites connected to Prophecies
- Archaeological Site of Delphi The Oracle, where the priestess Pythia gave prophecies inspired by Apollo
- Biblical Tells The battle of Armageddon (site of the final battle between God and Satan) at the Megiddo
- Chichen-Itza According to Maya chronicles (e.g., the Book of Chilam Balam of Chumayel), Hunac Ceel, ruler of Mayapan, conquered Chichen Itza in the 13th century. Hunac Ceel supposedly prophecized his own rise to power. According to custom at the time, individuals thrown into the Cenote Sagrado were believed to have the power of prophecy if they survived. During one such ceremony, the chronicles state, there were no survivors, so Hunac Ceel leaped into the Cenote Sagrado, and when removed, prophecized his own ascension.
- Mahabodhi Temple Complex When the world is destroyed at the end of a kalpa, the Bodhimanda is the last spot to disappear; when the world emerges into existence again, it is the first to appear. A lotus blooms there, bringing it into view, and if a Buddha is to be born during the kappa thus begun, the lotus puts forth flowers, according to the number of Buddhas.
- Mexico City and Xochimilco Tenochtitlan (now Mexico City) is connected with the prophecy about the white skinned god Quetzalcoatlin who had left Mexico in the tenth century and would return from the east to reclaim his authority over the Aztecs.
- Mount Taishan "If Mount Tai is stable, so is the entire country." Wiki
- Old City of Jerusalem Several biblical prophecies
- Tower of London If the ravens ever leave the Tower of London, the White Tower, the monarchy, and the entire kingdom would fall
- Troy Cassandra, daughter of King Priam and Queen Hecuba of Troy, foresaw the destruction of Troy. She warned the Trojans about the Trojan Horse, the death of Agamemnon, and her own demise, though was unable to do anything to forestall these tragedies since they did not believe her.
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Prophecies
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- be explained, with reference to a source