Role of Women
Sites inscribed for the role that women (groups, not individuals) played in the features of the site
- Ancient Kyoto Shinto Maidens (Miko) at Shimigamo Shrine and Kamigamo Shrine
- Ancient Nara Shinto Maidens of Kasuga Taisha Grand Shrine
- Archaeological Site of Delphi Oracle priestess Pythia
- Australian Convict Sites "Cascades Female Factory is a female prison in southeast Tasmania, today on the western outskirts of Hobart....operated as a convict factory, exclusively employing females, between 1828 and 1856. Some 25,000 convicts passed through"
- Benedictine Convent of St. John Nunnery
- Changdeokgung Palace Complex Royal Family used the garden exclusively along with court women
- Chief Roi Mata's Domain Resolution of marriage and conflict through matrilineal descent (Naflak)
- Chola Temples Brihadishwara Temple has inscriptions containing details of the 400 Devadasi dancers kept by King Rajendra I at the temple. See link (and Wiki) for details of the Devadasi system/culture. Link
- Chongoni Rock Art "Much of the rock art seems to have been carried out by women."
- Flemish Béguinages "The béguinages bear exceptional witness to the cultural tradition of independent religious women in north-western Europe in the Middle Ages."
- Ghadames The upper floors used to be reserved to women only. They were often interconnected between adjacent buildings so that men could avoid women.
- Gusuku of Ryukyu Sefa Utaki was run by priestess called Kikoeogimi and her female staffs.
- Hallstatt-Dachstein The transportation of the salt from the mines uphill to the town and port was carried out by the women. There is a bank at the slopes of the mountain where they used to rest on their way down.
- Istanbul Topkapi Palace - Women of the Imperial Harem
- Jeju Haenyeo can often be seen diving at the cove at the foot of Seongsan Ilchulbong and the nearby Udo Island. "Haenyo are skilled (Female) divers who are known to be able to hold their breath for more than two minutes and dive to depths of 20 meters" ... Since it was the women who worked from morning till night every day, women held a special place in Jeju's society." - Official Site of Korean Tourism
- Novodevichy Convent Convent was a royal nunnery
- Old Town of Lijiang Mosuo minorities who inhabit Lijiang show clear traces of matriarchy. Link
- Rome House of the Vestal Virgins Link
- Royal Palaces of Abomey In the 18th century King Agadja of Abomey created a regiment of female guards. Later they became active warriers and fought the French who likened them to the "Amazons". They are portrayed on some of the palace bas-reliefs Link
- Saloum Delta Shellfish gathering and processing for trade is today performed by women, while the men devote their time to fishing, without it being possible to know when this division of labour occurred." (AB eval)
- Shahr-i Sokhta A number of 5,000-year-old insignias, which were found in the graves of some female inhabitants, suggest that the women of the city enjoyed social and financial prominence.
- Taos Pueblo An exceptional example of a matriarchal society where traditionally homes and farm lands have been owned by women only. Link
- Tombs of Buganda Kings The widows of the Kabaka play significant customary roles in the maintenance and ceremonies of the tombs. They have houses inside the compound. The primary building of the Kasubi complex is the circular Muzibu Azaala Mpanga with 4 Kabaka tombs and "One part of the great hut is known as the 'forest' or kibira. It is a secret area where the Kings spirits can hide. Only the widows can access to this part which is hidden behind a bark cloth curtain" (Nom file).
- Tsodilo The !Kung who are one of the major people who worship Tsodilo are matrilocal Link
- Vegaøyan "The site is a testimony to women?s labour and their control of the eider duck farming."
- Verla Groundwood and Board Mill Only women worked at the machines that turned pulp into board
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Role of Women
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source