Territorial Highest points
Inscribed sites which contain the highest point within the jurisdiction of the "State Party" (and thus within its ability to nominate). This includes therefore such points in territories or autonomous zones where these are higher than the highest point in the "main unit" of the country. In some cases exact heights vary in different sources.
For more info see: Peakbagger and Wikipedia list of countries by highest point
- Blue and John Crow Mountains Blue Mountain Peak (2256M/ 7402ft) "The nominated property is restricted to higher elevations (850 - 2,256m asl) and the reduction from the previous nomination is, in essence, a focus on the more intact forest areas which are largely correlated with altitude and ruggedness of terrain" (IUCN Evaluation)
- Central Suriname Nature Reserve Julianatop, at 1280m the highest peak in Suriname
- Fujisan the highest mountain in Japan at 3,776.24 m (wiki)
- Glacier parks Mount Logan, the highest mountain in Canada at 5,959 metres (19,551 ft), in Kluane National Park
- Heard and McDonald Islands "Big Ben" the summit of Heard Island 2745m/9006 ft (Mt Kosciuszko on "mainland" Australia is only 2229m/7313ft)
- Huascaran National Park Huascaran 6746m/22133ft
- Jeju Mount Hallasan (part of Jeju Volcanic Island and Lava Tubes)
- Khangchendzonga National Park The 8586m peak Khangchendzonga is the highest in India
- Kilimanjaro National Park Mt Kibo 5895m/19340ft
- Kinabalu Park Gunung Kinabalu 4101m/13453ft
- Lorentz National Park Puncak Jaya 488m/16024ft
- Maloti Drakensberg Mafadi (Nthleledi) 3451m/11322ft (also stated at 3446 and 3450m). NB: some sources cite nearby Thabana Ntlenyana (3482m) as being the highest peak in S Africa but it is just across the border in Lesotho. As is Makheka (3461m).
- Mount Kenya 5199m/17057ft
- Mount Nimba Mt Nimba (Mont Richard Molard) 1752m/5748 ft. Cote d'Ivoire/Guinea
- Pico Island Punta de Pico 2351m/7713ft (Serra de Estrela on mainland Portugal is only 1953/6539ft)
- Rwenzori Mountains Mt Stanley (Margherita Peak) 5110m/16765ft. Uganda/DRC
- Sagarmatha National Park Sagarmatha/"Mt Everest" 8850m/29028ft (alternatively given as 8848m/29029ft)
- Saint Catherine Area Mount Catherine, at 2,629 m (8,625 ft) the highest point in Egypt
- San Marino and Mount Titano Mte Titano 739m/2425ft (alternatively given as 755m in Wiki)
- Simien National Park Ras Dashan Terara 4533m/14872ft (although not conclusive if it is located within the boundaries of the WHS)
- Tajik National Park Ismoil Somoni
- Talamanca Range-La Amistad Reserves The Costa Rican sector includes Cerro Chirripo "The highest point in Southern Central America" (AB evaluation) at 3820 metres and thus also the highest point in Costa Rica. The original nomination also included the highest point in Panama :- Volcan Baru at 3470M metres (from which it is possible to view both Pacific and Caribbean) but IUCN/WHC required Panama to exclude it for "lack of integrity"
- Te Wahipounamu Mount Cook is the highest mountain in New Zealand, reaching a height of 3,754 metres
- Teide National Park Pico de Teide 3718m/12198ft (Mulhacen on mainland Spain is only 3478m/11411ft)
- Tsodilo Often given as the highest point in Botswana at 1489m but Otse Hill at 1491 m/4,892 ft is an alternative claimant or nearby Monalanong Hill at 1494m.
- Vatican City Unamed "summit" of Vatican Hill 75m/246ft (alternatively given as 50m in Peakbagger)
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Territorial Highest points
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source