Sound and Light Show
Sites that have regular Sound and Light Shows.
Son et lumière, or a sound and light show is a form of nighttime entertainment that is usually presented in an outdoor venue of historic significance. Special lighting effects are projected onto the façade of a building or ruin and synchronized with recorded or live narration and music to dramatize the history of the place. The invention of the concept is credited to Paul Robert-Houdin, who was the curator of the Château de Chambord in France, which hosted the first son et lumière in the world in 1952.
- Agra Fort since Feb 2011
- Amiens Cathedral
- Ancient Thebes Temple of Karnak
- Angkor Angkor Wat (since 2006)
- Ayutthaya In every December since 1991
- Chichen-Itza Nightly show year round
- Jantar Mantar Link
- Jesuit Missions of the Guaranis Sao Miguel das Missoes (som e luz), San Ignacio
- Khajuraho Group of Monuments
- Loire Valley Chateau de Chambord
- Malbork Castle
- Masada A show at 4 AM
- Medina of Marrakesh At Menara Gardens
- Nubian Monuments There are shows at both Philae and Abu Simbel Link
- Old City of Jerusalem Burnt House and Davidson Centre
- Pyramids (Memphis)
- Red Fort
- Samarkand There is nearly every evening after sunset a light show at the Registan
- Torun In the Copernicus house there is a "mini" S+L set in 1550
- Uxmal The price of admission, if you retain the ticket, includes a 45-minute sound-and light show (h8pm summer, 7pm winter). (LP)
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Sound and Light Show
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source