Relics from John the Baptist
- Aachen Cathedral Has the decapitation cloth
- Amiens Cathedral The "head" was brought back as booty from Constantinople in 1206 from 4th crusade and was a partial raison d'etre for the cathedral's construction. Later "lost" but 19th century replica resides in a chapel.
- Damascus Umayyad Mosque - A shrine is said to contain the "head"
- Istanbul Topkapi Palace has an arm and part of the skull
- Mount Athos "parts" of John the Baptist are held in Prodromos Skete (Prodromos means "forerunner" i.e. John the Baptist)
- Old City of Jerusalem John the Baptist Church possesses one of his bones
- Rome A fragment of the "head" is held in the Church of San Silvestre in Capite (Named after the "head")
- Valletta Relic of the arm in the cathedral
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Relics from John the Baptist
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source