Gates depicting Lions
- Baroque Churches the gates of San Agustin Church in Intramuros are adorned with Chinese Lion Dogs (Also called as Fu Dogs) that were given by the Chinese people coexisting with the christians that time.
- Butrint Lion Gate
- Cathedral of St. James in Sibenik The doors of the Saint-James' Cathedral in Sibenik are flanked by Venetian Lions.
- Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus Link
- Crac des Chevaliers Link
- Delos The Terrace of the Lions dedicated to Apollo by the people of Naxos shortly before 600 BC, had originally nine to twelve squatting, snarling marble guardian lions along the Sacred Way; one is inserted over the main gate to the Venetian Arsenal. (wiki)
- Gusuku of Ryukyu Gusuku's Many Gates at Shuri castle are decorated by Shisa, the local guardian lion
- Hattusha Lion Gate (14th century BC), depicts two lions
- Incense Route of the Negev Avdat Byzantine Gate
- Modena Cathedral
- Museumsinsel (Museum Island) Ishtar Gate in the Pergamon Museum
- Mycenae and Tiryns Lion Gate of Mycenae (1250 BC), depicts two lionesses
- Old City of Jerusalem Lions' Gate in the Old City Walls (1517). Near the gate?s crest are four figures of "lions" after which the gate is named (they actually depict panthers).
- Petra The Lions Temple
- Sigiriya Lion Gate ruins
- Trogir The doors of Saint Lawrence in Trogir are flanked by Venetian Lions.
- Vigan Vigan's Archbishop's Palace: gates adorned with Chinese Lion Dogs
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Gates depicting Lions
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source