Cultural sites taking up an entire island
Cultural WHS, or significant parts thereof, that take up one or more entire islands.
- Australian Convict Sites Cockatoo Island
- Bamberg The Centre of Bamberg occupies an entire island between 2 branches of the river Regnitz. Furthermore - the Town Hall is situated on and occupies an ENTIRE different island ON ITS OWN!
- Bikini Atoll
- Birka and Hovgarden The map of this site in the AB review seems to show that the entire island of Bjorko is inscribed.
- Bolgar It also integrates early parts of a Volga Bolgar settlement located ... on the closest Volga island. (AB ev)
- Chief Roi Mata's Domain The whole of Artok Island
- Defence Line of Amsterdam Pampus Island
- Dubrovnik Lokrum
- Elephanta Caves
- Fortress of Suomenlinna
- Island of Gorée
- Island of Mozambique
- Island of Saint-Louis
- Karlskrona Trosso Island, and many fortified islands including Kungsholms Fort in Kralskrona archipelago
- Kunta Kinteh Island
- Medina of Essaouira Ile d'Essouaria containing the prison - offshore from the Medina.
- Nan Madol on a series of 99 artificial islets (AB ev)
- Nubian Monuments Philae Temple Island
- Old City of Acre The inscribed area of Akko extends into the sea and includes the small island in the harbour on which the "Tower of Flies"/El Manara Lighthouse was built (see top centre of introductory photo on this site) Link
- Paris, Banks of the Seine Ile de la cite and Ile de Saint Louis
- Portovenere, Cinque Terre, and the Islands Islands of Palmeria,Tino and Tinetto
- Potsdam Berlin Pfaueninsel
- Prague Kampa Island
- Rapa Nui 3 small offshore islands associated with the Birdman cult - Mota Nui, Motu Iti and Moto Kau Kau
- Red Bay Basque Whaling Station Among several completely inscribed islands is Saddle Island which contains the "Try-works" (furnaces for rendering whale oil from blubber) of the whaling station and other cultural remains.
- Rio de Janeiro The inscribed area of Rio contains 2 islands fully within it: a. Ilha da Laje (or "Slab" island) b. Ilha de Cotunduba
- Robben Island
- Saloum Delta "Together with a great many bolons or brackish channels,they form a dense network encompassing over 200 main islands and islets" (AB eval)
- Sceilg Mhichíl
- SGang Gwaay
- Solovetsky Islands
- Speicherstadt and Kontorhaus District Speicherstadt covers several islands
- St. George, Bermuda Castle Island Fortifications
- St. Kilda
- St. Petersburg Schlisselburg
- Statue of Liberty
- Stralsund and Wismar Stralsund: "Unique in Stralsund is the island location, unchanged since the 13th century, between the Strelasund and the ponds on the land side, which were dammed soon after the town was founded."
- Syracuse Ortygia
- Upper Middle Rhine Valley Pfalzgrafenstein island castle Link
- Venice and its Lagoon
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Cultural sites taking up an entire island
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source