- Ancient Thebes Egyptian Queen Hatshepsut established a zoo in Thebes around 1490 BC
- Medici Villas and Gardens Lorenzo De' Medici had a zoo at his Villa in Poggio a Caiano, "composed of lions, dromedary, cheetah, giraffe and an Arab" Link
- Mexico City and Xochimilco Tenochtitlan: two zoos in the palace of Moctezuma
- Potsdam Peacock Island had a menagerie modelled after Versailles after whose peacocks the island was named.
- Schönbrunn Menagerie of the Habsburgs: oldest existing zoo (1752)
- Singapore Botanic Gardens from 1875 - 1913 SBG was the main zoo of the Straits Settlements
- Tower of London Royal Menagerie from the 13th century until 1835
- Versailles Menagerie during the reign of Louis XIV
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Historical zoos
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source