Sites including notable lakes, or on the banks thereof.
- Bali Subak system Volcanic lake Batur
- Birka and Hovgarden At Lake Malaran
- Fertö/Neusiedlersee Largest saline water body in Europe, important for migratory birds
- Golden Mountains of Altai Lake Teletskoye
- Jeju "Yongcheondonggul Lava Tube was discovered recently, and it has a large lake with different salt concentrations along the depth, future detailed scientific investigations on the fauna may reveal some interesting results on its fauna and ecology. The ceiling above the lake also displays a majestic view of carbonate speleothems." - Nomination File
- Kizhi Pogost On the banks of Lake Onega, the 2nd largest lake in Europe and 18th in the world
- Lake Baikal 31,500 km?, and deepest lake in the world
- Lake Malawi 30,044 km?
- Lake Turkana 6,405 km?
- Lakes of Ounianga the largest known lake complex in a hyper arid environment (AB ev)
- Lavaux, Vineyard Terraces On the banks of Lac Leman
- Ohrid Region Lake Ohrid: probably the oldest lake in Europe and with impressive endemism
- Prehistoric Pile Dwellings several sites around the Lake Constance
- Reichenau Lake Constance
- Rideau Canal Includes the Lower, Upper and Big Rideau lakes
- Sagarmatha National Park Gokyo Lakes
- Saryarka two main lakes L.Aksuat (22,000 ha) and L. Saramoin (12,600 ha)(UNEP-WCMC)
- Tajik National Park Sarez Lake: the lake formed in 1911, after a great earthquake (wiki) Link
- Tasmanian Wilderness Lake St. Clair, the "deepest lake in Australia" (IUCN)
- West Lake
- Willandra Lakes Dried lakes
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Notable lakes
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source