A tell is a mound (often found in the Middle East) over or consisting of the ruins of ancient settlements
- Ahwar of Southern Iraq Tell Eridu Archaeological Site
- Aleppo Mound of Al-Aquabah (which probably constitues the Tel of ancient Aleb)
- Baptism Site "Bethany Beyond the Jordan" Tell Al-Kharrar (Elijah’s Hill)
- Biblical Tells
- Çatalhöyük two large tells (AB ev)
- Caves of Maresha and Bet Guvrin Tel Maresha
- Djenné From AB evaluation "The floods cover all but some hillocks; these are called toguere.....All these tells, which were a natural refuge from the flood waters, are potential archaeological sites and on that basis deserve to be protected." This refers to the Toguere of Djenne-Djeno and "Other toguere, such as at Hambarketolo, Tonomba and Kaniana..."
- Erbil Citadel
- Qal'at al-Bahrain
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Tell
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source