This includes all "installation" ceremonies for monarchs.
- Aachen Cathedral For 600 years, from 936 to 1531, the Aachen chapel was the church of coronation for 30 German kings and 12 queens (wiki)
- Ancient Nara Ruin of Heijikyo Palace for ancient Japanese Emperors
- Ayutthaya the ruins of ancient palace was the coronation place for ancient siamese court
- Budapest Matthias Church
- Changdeokgung Palace Complex For most of the Korean Joseon Dynasty
- Cracow (Wawel Cathedral) most Polish Monarchs 1370-1734
- Edinburgh Holyrood Abbey (ruined in 1768) was used for the Scottish coronation of Charles I in 1633. Scottish kings were traditionally crowned at Scone whilst sitting on the "Stone of Destiny". However this was captured by Edward I in 1296 and taken to Westminster where it was put into the English Throne. After a chequered history (see wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_of_Scone )it was returned to Scotland in 1996 and can be seen in Edinburgh Castle (though should be returned to Westminster for any future British coronations!)
- Golestan Palace "This spectacular terrace, known as the Marble Throne, was built in 1806 by order of Fath Ali Shah of Qajar (r. 1797-1834) Coronations of Qajar kings, and formal court ceremonies were held on this terrace. The last coronation to be held at the Marble Throne was the coronation of Reza Shah Pahlavi, in 1925." (Wiki)
- Gusuku of Ryukyu Gusuku's Shuri castle courtyard was a coronation place of Ryukyu Kingdom
- Hué Coronation place for Nguyen Dynasty of Vietnam
- Imperial Palace Beijing Imperial palace for Ming and Qing Emperors
- Kremlin and Red Square (Uspensky Cathedral) Russian Tsars. Ivan the Terrible 1547 onwards
- Luang Prabang The last king of Laos decorated and refurbished Luang Prabang royal palace for his coronation, before the end of his monarchy.
- Mexico City and Xochimilco (Metropolitan Cathedral) - Maximilian I planned for 1864 but it never happened
- Mtskheta (Svetitskhoveli Cathedral) Georgian Monarchs
- Paris, Banks of the Seine Notre Dame de Paris for Napoleon I
- Red Fort (Delhi) Aurangzeb 1659
- Reims Most French monarchs
- Thang Long for ancient Vietnamese court coronation
- Vatican City (St Peter's Basilica)- Popes until 1963
- Westminster Westminster Abbey - Nearly all English/British Monarchs since 1066
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Coronation Locations
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source