Islamic pilgrimage sites
Top pilgrimage sites for Shia or Sunni muslims. Mecca and Medina are generally considered no. 1 and no. 2, several others are vying for spots no. 3 - 5.
- Ancient ksours Chinguetti: major site for African pilgrims, principal gathering place for pilgrims of the Maghreb to gather on the way to Mecca
- Bolgar Muslim pilgrimage centre (AB ev)
- Central Highlands Adam's Peak
- Damascus Umayyad Mosque, after Mecca and Medina possibly the world's third most important mosque
- Harar "the fourth holiest city of Islam"
- Kairouan Centre of Islamic faith in the Maghreb; "third-holiest site" in Islam
- Old City of Jerusalem In terms of the virtue of a religious site, and the value of prayers performed within it, Muslims believe that the Al-Aqsa Mosque in Jerusalem is the third most virtuous mosque
- Sulaiman-Too Sulaiman-Too is the main holy and pilgrimage site for Muslims of southern Kyrgyzstan and the Ferghana Valley
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Islamic pilgrimage sites
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source