Built or owned by Germans
Sites outside the current borders of Germany that were built or owned by Germans
- Auschwitz Birkenau Former German extermination camps
- Banc d'Arguin Arguin was owned by Brandenburg/Prussia from 1685-1721. They built a fort there.
- Banska Stiavnica The Tajchy was planned by local German scientists and designed by Von Erlach
- Bardejov Town German settlers
- Bryggen "Kantor" used / built by Gerrman traders
- Budapest House of Terror, former Gestapo headquarters
- Centennial Hall Built by a German architect at the time in which Wroclaw was a German city
- Christiansfeld Built by German settlers
- Churches of Peace Built by German architects in an area formerly partially inhabited by Germans
- Cocos Island August Gissler was allowed by the Costa Rican government to establish a colony there in 1897.
- Cracow Oskar Schindler's Factory
- Curonian Spit Teutonic Order castles and German farmers / settlers
- Engelsberg Ironworks Mining here started by a German miner
- Fray Bentos Originally founded and built by the German "Liebig Extract of Meat Company" in 1863.
- Heritage of Mercury Idrija's Town Hall was built by German-born architects Clemens M. Kattner and Gustav Adolf König.
- Holasovice Initially built for settlers from Bavaria and Austria
- Istanbul German Fountain at the northern end of old hippodrome (Sultanahmet Square)
- L'viv Boim Chapel was built by German architect Andreas Bemer
- Lamu Old Town The old German Post Office in Lamu dates back to 1881 Link
- Lednice-Valtice Cultural Landscape Owned by the House of Liechtenstein, then part of the German Confederation
- Malbork Castle Built by members of the Teutonic Order, a German Roman Catholic religious order.
- Mir Castle Once owned by Chlodwig Carl Viktor, Fürst zu Hohenlohe-Schillingsfürst, Fürst von Ratibor und Corvey
- Old City of Jerusalem Muristan: center of the German colony in Jerusalem in the 19th century, rebuilt the Crusader church of St. Mary Latina as the Lutheran Church of the Redeemer (Erl?serkirche)
- Old Town Lunenburg Among the early settlers were many from various parts of Germany
- Prague St Nicolas Church (expanded by Christoph Dientzenhofer), Saxonian House, Palais Wallenstein among others
- Riga Fortress built by the German Knights of the Sword
- Sighisoara Built by Saxonian settlers
- Spissky Hrad & Levoca Samuel Breuer's printing house
- Strasbourg Strasbourg was German until 1639 (and several times after)
- Struve Geodetic Arc Von Struve was a Baltic German, born at Altona (Hamburg), Germany
- Tallinn Temporarily owned by the Teutonic Order (14th century)
- Telc Josef Lang's cloth factory [Im ehemaligen Hof Slavatas entsteht im 19. Jahrhundert Josef Langs Tuchfabrik, die fast 600 Mitarbeiter hatte.]
- Torun Castle built by the Teutonic Order
- Tugendhat Villa
- Venice and its Lagoon The Fondaco dei Tedeschi ("The Germans' Inn") was the headquarters and restricted living quarters of the German merchant population in Venice
- Verla Groundwood and Board Mill Verla was grounded by Wilhelm Dippel and Louis Haenelin, both Germans, and Gottlieb Kreidl, an Austrian
- Vienna The Headquarters of the Gestapo in Vienna's Hotel Metropol Link
- Villages with Fortified Churches
- Wooden Churches of Southern Malopolska Hacz?w. In the 14th century there was a German settlement there called Hanshof.
- Wooden Churches of the Slovak Carpathians Kezmarok used to be a German settlement
- Zamosc Rosa Luxemburg's House in the Market Square
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Built or owned by Germans
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source